Friday, August 25, 2023

 School has started. They packed their supplies and climbed aboard the dutch bus.  It felt weird like it's not really time.  I wanted to say haha and let them stay home. But I stood awkwardly and waved with that feeling of laughing or crying, I'm not sure which. Some other random kids also waved back which I thought was a  very sweet thing to do. This is my favorite time of year, mostly because of school supplies.  who doesn't like the thrill of sharpened pencils and white cap erasers? The air is crisp and the start of school kind of makes me feel refreshed.  I miss my kids now that they are physically in a school but I guess  it just feels optimistic? New classes, new friends, new goals. Henry is grade 11 and Sawyer grade 6, their school is an international one, lots of kids from all over the world,  and yes, they are taught in english.


The boys grew this summer and I didn't even notice during any of the summer days, not until they let me take a picture. It is noted now in my brain, the summer they grew up.


Today has been full of storms, the house is so dark.  I cleaned then cut out a few patterns while watching Little House. Mary wanted to get married at age 13, seems so ridiculous to imagine that ever happened.  My great grandmother got married at 16. Her name was Daisy. She was born in 1890 and while I lived with my grandparents Daisy came to live with us.  She was so old to me at age 96.  I was 13 and wish I was mature enough to have asked her about her life. Anyhow, Mary didn't get married in the end (shocking) but was so sad to watch her love chuggity chug away on a train.




Our backyard is rather large considering where we live, it's nice to have greenspace to look out on.  The neighbors have domesticated deer and they frolic and run so fast around. I love watching them.







0 comments: