Sunday, August 27, 2023


Yesterday my daughter and her husband drove a few miles from their house. They waved bye to their kids and their dogs and Marc's mom and dad who are visiting. Then they got checked into their little hospital and Maggie birthed a baby. A beautiful baby girl.  Backing up my story to just before they drove a few miles from their house, Maggie and I were video chatting. She had just woken up from a nap and I mentally noted to myself that she resembled the Maggie that was four or five years old and woken from a nap. That was many moons ago (though it seems like yesterday) But she sat up and felt weird and looked dumfounded. She broke her water, slowly at first and she was confused. Neither of us knew what was happening. Well, yes, we knew she was pregnant and due any day (oh boy that would really be a story if she didn't know) She was asking me if this could indeed be the time, and this is a legitimate question as I am her mother and indeed I have birthed six kids myself. She was asking in the manner that can only be written as COULD THIS BE IT??????? But I really didn't know. The only time I broke my water it happened like POP, like it literally made a very loud noise. Just imagine what that noise would sound like in an exaggerated way and that is definitely what it sounded like, and then a huge waterfall followed. But Maggie had neither the noise or waterfall so I told her to walk a bit and lo and behold just a few steps and yup, she broke her water.  We both laughed and weren't sure how to say bye and good luck and love you, really how do you do that? Especially because a few years ago when her first two children were born I lived 10 miles away and could say see you there.  We now live 3451 miles apart. That is not an exaggeration at all, and when your child is having a baby it seems even farther than that number.  
The picture here is from my walk after Maggie had her baby, I felt so grateful.  It had been a rainy, stormy day (Maggie's favorite) and the sun tried to filter through, it was so pretty. My heart is so full even still. The world is big yes, but also small when your grandchild is born far away and you already love her so much. She is one day old but I already know her deep in my heart. She will have a natural smile and be happy with who she is. She has two older siblings that figured things out for her already so she will have a real vivre la vie type of personality. Which is fitting with her beautiful french name...
Clèmentine Lorraine







 

0 comments: