Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Sugar Maple


Nearly 200 years ago someone planted two sugar maple trees when our house was built. I can easily imagine the holes being dug and the saplings carefully placed.  They knew how much and when to water, those saplings really took off and grew steadily for so many years.  One tree was lost before we moved here, the stump is still visible.

The remaining tree was magnificent.  It was so real to me, I fell in love with it!  Like a person!  It was so historical...witnessing all the marvels of time.  I know I am not alone in this as my son Henry admits he has many tree friends.  Henry is a good friend to trees and people.

So as you can see above the tree had to come down.  Every bit of wind would take down a branch.  It was getting dangerous, even though it had cables running within it to kind of keep it together.



I watched as they took it down.  I felt some relief as I didn't realize how much I thought about it falling on the house.  Time sure changes things.  I wonder if someone said to the person who planted it if they thought it was too close to the house.  "Oh well, we won't have to worry about that...not for like 200 years"  Then they went in and had a good laugh about what it would be like in the 2000's.
It's okay they laughed...at least we are smart about some things, like running water and electricity. We are lucky people to have showers built right into our houses with hot water even!

0 comments: