Sunday, July 24, 2016

inside the garden fence



The garden is growing at a steady pace.  Though it has been a dry summer the constant watering (ackkk the watering) and the humidity have created some sizable plants.  We are about to bust open with tomatoes as the plants are heavy with fruit but are taking painstaking time to turn red. It's a slow crawl to harvest then boom it happens and then summer quickly winds down.  I'm trying to be careful what I wish for as I am enjoying these summer days and am in no hurry for a change.



This year we tried potato boxes, as the plants grow in height, wood and soil are added.  Little did I know the plants would grow so fast, I am behind the adding wood and soil part.  After 50-60 days of growth the bottom boards are removed and potatoes are dug out.  As time passes more boards are removed and more potatoes dug out. I'm still not sure about this system but if it is successful I'll probably talk about it again in the future.  We have a short growing season this far north, I imagine this system would be great a couple zones to the south.





The zucchini and summer squash are making up for last year when I got two measly zucchinis.  We eat a lot of these and it was painful last year to have to buy them after I had hauled a zillion gallons of water.  Sweet victory this year in the form of zucchini breads and cakes :)




 Sweet corn is hard to grow here, but oh the rewards of a fresh piece of corn!  Though it is definitely easier to get some from the farm stand there are few more satisfying garden fares than picking your own corn and steaming it for dinner.



To save space  we are using a couple large triangular frames.  The lower one for cucumbers to grow atop while beets and radishes grow beneath.  The taller one is for green beans to climb while kale, spinach and swiss chard grow underneath.


Clover and Mabel grew so fast out of their brooder.  I am hoping they think I am their mother,  they are still so fun to hold and cuddle.  Their quacks are still babyish soft squeaks.  Unlike the loud QUACKS their parents do.  Their dad Frank below is so loud and always following me to see what I am doing then has to announce it to the whole neighborhood.  




Outside the garden fence we are having a banner year for wild raspberries.  Every chore outside calls for a break along the property edges eating berries.  


The youngest is officially too big for me to ride my bike with.  I imagine the trips my husband takes with him are numbered as well.  It is so hard to see your baby grow up!




The flower beds are hanging in there.  The japanese beetles have liked my zinnias this year,  and the delphiniums were short lived.  I am hoping for a speedy recovery as I can't imagine August without cutting zinnias for the house.  Fingers crossed...
Thanks for visiting my garden!

1 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness.. your gardens are beautiful!! If you saw the little patch that I barely take care of ( I'm ashamed). I think with cuties like Mabel and Clover I would be more likely to tend the gardens.. or at least play in them. : )
I agree, sucks that our kids grow up so fast! Stop it.. I wish life had a pause button.
Have a great week. stay cool