Thursday, May 5, 2011

If I could save time in a canning jar of tulips

024

During my last year of high school I met my husband.  I loved him instantly. 

Within a few months I changed all the big life decisions I had spent those teen years creating.  And truthfully though I was young and naive I didn’t care at all what anyone thought.  And I still don’t!  People were gentle and kind with their comments but I know many were kind of aghast at the situation known as Ken & KD.

Ken is crazy.  He is full speed and I have often thought it’s a good thing he was born when he was because nowadays they would say he was hyperactive.  When I look at what he has accomplished in his life I can only credit his zest and intensity for life.   The world needs more people like Ken.  He is the most selfless person I’ve ever met.  He saved me from myself, if that makes any sense.

His life isn’t about money or greed or who he knows.  It’s about faith and seeing beauty in the mundane.  It’s about his kids-big and small- and about how even the smallest things can make a person happy.   He is real.

034

This is how I like him best…after an afternoon nap, kind of scrub faced and hair askew. 

006

But I also like him like this…with a gaggle of kids about who love him as much as I do. 

Today is his birthday. 

It’s hard to buy him stuff, he likes stuff but it’s usually weird stuff we would never know he wanted.  It’s funny to me that he can be in uniform at a moments notice dealing with one issue or another but he is the kind of guy that looks ridiculous in the grocery store.  He pushes the cart aimlessly and will stop to look at something with interest. I remember once he bought a gigantic jar of tomato paste like he had great plans.  Maggie (above) and I usually do the shopping, when Ken comes with us we know it’s going to be…. fun(ny).

I remember early on in our relationship envisioning him “old”.  Time has passed so quickly, I just can’t believe it.  Sometimes I look at us together with our new wrinkles and varicose veins and it makes me laugh.  What is happening?!  We used to have cute pet names now he calls me lady and I call him fatty.  But the truth is I’m more love sick now for him than ever. 

And I can’t tell you why or how or what is or what isn’t.  But I can tell you faith and truth and love are part of each day.

14 comments:

Leslie said...

Gosh he sounds like a nice guy ~ I am married to a Ken too.. and I know all about being saved from yourself.

Happy Birthday to your other half.

Barbara said...

Happy birthday to him, and for heaven's sake, buy him a new sweatshirt. (A nice Red Sox one, perhaps. I would applaud that.) As a loyal Syracuse fan, I don't think anyone looks their best in a UConn shirt, even someone as good-looking as your hubby.

Anonymous said...

And I know only too well all those "firsts" for two young, naive, high school sweethearts. Little did we know then that you two would write the book of love and play out each episode. I love happy endings :-)

Happy Birthday Ken. Happy days ahead Ken and Karen!! See you soon ...

Jemm said...

This is the sweetest post ever. Happy belated birthday to your hubby.

I love your chick cup in your last post-it looks really old-pretty.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Happy Birthday Ken! I hope you've had a fabulous day! What a sweet post you've written...your family is so special and I'm so glad we are friends! Was there cake in this celebration? Do you have more pics? Enjoy!!! ♥

Paula said...

This is sooooo sweet. Real is always so much better than the fairy tale plans we make.

Oh and I love that jar filled with those tulips.

Leila said...

What a sweet post! Hooray for true love!

I'm neutral on the sweatshirt but positive on the placemat ;)

Andi said...

Sweet! Yay for love!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a terrific match!

Kathy in Vietnam said...

Happy Birthday Ken,

We love you and miss you!!

Juniper said...

A belated happy birthday to your other half. What a honest loving ode to the man you love. You are blessed to have found one another.

Unknown said...

Oh, how precious your share. If only I had ever thought that love at this stage of our live would be even better ...

May his bday be full & warm ... filled with lots of love.

Hope your Mother's Day was beautiful.

TTFN ~
Marydon

PS GIVEAWAY for 5 Days ~ enter now

Prairie Rose said...

P.S.
I LOVE white tulips.
They are one of my favorite flowers!

Prairie Rose said...

We are so lucky to have our wonderful men!
I had to laugh when you talked about them grocery shopping...My fella is the same way.
I always know I am going to leave the store with some very interesting items!
Happy Birthday to your Hubby!
So happy that you two found eachother:)