Tuesday, October 16, 2012

one time on Oprah…

Shortly after I had my first baby I was watching Oprah-- a new mother asked a parenting expert when her life would return to a normal routine.  The audience erupted with laughter and Oprah said in about 18 years, honey…

I’ve carried that moment with me around with all my new babies.  I felt so bad for that woman! Life does return to “normal”.  Her baby should be over 20 years old now—hopefully she figured it out.

21a

I allow myself a year after having a baby to not even think about a normal routine.  Just when one routine gets comfortable a new one begins.  Every baby is different, every mother is different. And I myself am a pretty wacky one.

26a

After I had a few kids I learned not to start projects like sewing.  I try and wait a year.  I want to focus on my baby, on getting back in shape. Otherwise I get so frustrated on why can’t I get anything done.

34a

Do I sound like a know it all?  This is more like a pep talk for myself really.

18a

I like to think I’m the type of person that needs a clean house and complete organization.  I can’t work on something for 10 minutes at a time.  I need to sit and finish it, or I won’t do it.  When I let myself slide emotionally and physically I let everything slide. (Which by the way, how come right after my 40th birthday I realize my rear is sliding into my legs? But that’s another post.)

20a

Having said all that I really miss making stuff.  Sawyer is almost 6 months old.  He’s really wiggly and wakes up like 4 times a night (seriously- I’ve tried everything) but he smiles nonstop—even at 2:00 in the morning. He is so yummy right now!  I think it all evens out.  I know my day to make stuff will be here soon enough. I will be patient! My baby will be a big kid with smelly feet before I know it.

15a

I floated around my sitting room today taking pictures of crafty stuff that inspires me, it’ll do for now!sawyera

14 comments:

Barbara said...

I can't stand how cute that baby is! I really think six months is the peak of cuteness (although there are a lot of peaks - but six months definitely is one). Your philosophy makes all the sense in the world.

20 North Ora said...

Enjoy that precious baby while you can. He will be grown before you know it and then you'll have all that extra time to do whatever!!

Judy

It's Just Dottie said...

He is the cutest baby. Just enjoy him.
Smiles, Dottie

Unknown said...

You are both adorable--the baby's smile and your posts! I always think "yay" when I've seen that your blg has moved to the top of my blog lists

The Dadman Diaries said...

You are such an honest, beautiful person.

i cant decide said...

Very good advice! I can work on something for 15 minutes at a time so I might do a project here and there after baby is born. I also let my routine go completely but after the first month I slowly start getting it back together. Well, it's more like I sit in a chair nursing the baby and direct the children so they will get back to their usual routine. I'm actually looking forward to that mini vacation next year although when it gets here I'll probably get all hormonal and wish I could get something done(like nursing a baby isn't getting done).

He's very sweet!

Unknown said...

What a smile for Friday morning. You never miss a beat, to make me think and make me smile. Your blog is such a heartfelt delight for me. I am no longer having babies but I've graduated to being granny Jackie. I think my little Alder, is yummy too!
Yummy choice of words to describe the sweetness of mama-hood.
Sorry I have been long gone...but Jack is back!
Wishing you peace and happiess in these precious years.
Jacqueline
Once Upon a Fairyland

Leila said...

Love.
Also, my hat's off to you for doing this on your own!
Daddy, come home!!
Lots of love from here...

Emily said...

See, I think this is why some women have many babies and some have just 2, ahem. I am SO selfish. You are so patient. Truly amazing is more like it.

Juniper said...

I love the way you ended that post, the perfect happy little smile. Says it all. I can so relate although with each child I forget and get to a point of frustration that it is so hard to make things from start to finish anymore without being interupted a zillion times. Baking though sooths the disire to create just a little. Love the details of your sewing supplies!

Juniper said...

By the way- thinking of you and worrying that you are all ok with the big storm!!!!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Awe, he is so sweet! I learned to put away the sewing etc. I thought I was going to make all my babies clothes. It didn't take me long to realize that when I sew baby clothes it is for some body else baby. Which used to make me sad, but what is better. The time with your baby, or the time with your sewing machine!
Bless you, and you will craft again soon! In the mean time. I love his smile.
Blessings,
Susie

Leslie said...

This is such a great post!! Sawyer is a cuties!!! Hope that you have a great thanksgiving.

Lynn said...

Love your Oprah story :) It sounds like you have learned a lot over the years about how to be a happy mom and not let yourself be frustrated by what you can't get done. I have always been at the other end of the spectrum, starting waaaay too many projects. But I don't usually stress about not getting them done . . . which is probably not such a good thing! Anyway, I enjoyed my visit to your blog. Such a cute babe you have.