Thursday, October 11, 2012

The wind blows east and west

22a

The house is as decorated as it will get for Halloween.  I bought one bag of candy corn and it quickly was ingested.  One bag is all these little ghosts and goblins will get.  Even before they know I have bought any their bodies know there is something full of sugar and food coloring in the house. 

23a

Since Sept we have partied up three birthdays.  I turned 40! Hadley turned 20! Maggie turned 18!

007a

We had a VIP guest on the table, even though it was the middle of the night where he is.  Sigh. I just love that guy.

We are halfway through this time apart.  Time is a funny thing, some parts have seemed to go by fast while others drag on.  Nonetheless I can’t handle any more deployments.  I cringe when I add up the time he has been away through the years.   In case you are wondering if someone can be deployed too much, the answer is yes…someone can.  I feel like I have put my best foot forward through the first four, but now, these last 2-3?  It’s too many.  It’s hard.  Life is too precious.  Even when he is home it hangs like a dark cloud, always nearby. 

Oye…anyway…staying positive!

This book opened my eyes to much more than my love for McCloskey and his art.

15a

It was written by his daughter Jane and her perspective on her childhood was so very interesting to me.

The pictures I have hanging in my home from his books have a whole new meaning to me.

17a

I love when books let you peer into someone’s life.  When you finish the book and reflect on the sense of their life (or nonsense haha) it helps you put your own life into perspective. 

My thoughts after I finished this book were:

My happiness is really up to me

I want to keep a sense of adventure my whole life

Sometimes what defines people is not what they wish to have define them

Seeing isn’t just with your eyes…it is a learned process.  I need to work on that one.

Howz that for a book report?

A++++++++

 

 

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Kerplink, kerplank, kerplunk - that's what I always think of when I see his artwork. (I hope I'm remembering the sound of the blueberries hitting the bottom of the pail correctly.) That picture of all of you with your honey is so sweet and so sad ... I hope you can all be together soon and for good.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Happy Birthday to you and your sweet birthday bunch! It's so great that you hubby could be there online. I am keeping him in my prayers and you, too, my friend. I love your book review. If you love it...I know I would, too! Sweet Southern hugs!

Andi said...

I haven't drug my fall decorations out of the attic yet. I am telling myself we will eliminate some clutter when I get them down, but then I look at the little bits here and there and think of who gave it to me, and I can't imagine not having them within my line of vision on a regular basis.

Sorry about your time apart. We appreciate the sacrifice YOU have made.

The Dadman Diaries said...

Mom told me she had ice this morning...INSIDE her windows...I listened sadly from our patio shirtless, in my shorts, sweaty and dirty from an early morning side job installing a site sign...love knowing you are Old now, K is safe, His time is past the halfway point, and hoping before you know it, we all will be someday sitting on your patio talking about how old you are.

Prairie Rose said...

Happy Birthdays to you:)
I will keep you all in my prayers too, I can not even imagine having to bear so much time apart.
You are a strong gal.