Monday, July 20, 2009

Home Again, Home Again, Home Again




Hesitantly we drove away from the smiling faces of our extended family and the stately colonial houses keeping watch over the ocean. We watched as the leafy green trees waved their branches beckoning us to stay longer until mile after mile, hill after hill the trees gave up to the flat bleached out grassy plains of Texas. The hot sun was here to welcome us the moment we emerged from the car. Nonetheless we were happy to reunite with our own beds and showers and the comfort of our clutter.

It is a strange and sometimes raw emotion to leave Connecticut. When I merge onto that first highway that heads West it feels weird. Like I am going the wrong way.

I belong there. Amongst the cobblestone footpaths that will eventually lead to the water.
We are fueled by the happy memories we have fresh in our minds. Hopefully they will last long enough to provide comfort until next summer. We came home with the affirmation that yes the kids are growing too fast and with an infinite amount of love and good wishes sent to Ken.


We also came home with an infinite amount of new freckles. Gotta love those things.
I've enjoyed catching up on some of your blogs. It's like reading a good book and not wanting to put it down.




5 comments:

Leila said...

It's the rocks, I often think...

Something about the rocks and the salt wetness...

When we came back from Indiana I cried when I saw rocks again :)

The Dadman Diaries said...

Welcome Home! I hope it was a great vacation! How are the animals? the garden? the animals in the garden?

Beck said...

I love your beautiful photo's, it sounds like you had a fabulous time. It is nice to get home though isn't it? And feeling refreshed you can start on the next part of the year! xox

Emily said...

So glad you're back safely!! I love the pictures from your trip. Happy to see you enjoyed it.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What amazing photos! You should get them published in a book! Snapfish has some neat books you can create! We moved! lol And I am just getting back on my computer after 2 weeks or so! I enjoyed seeing a part of the country I have never visited! Thanks!