Saturday, July 25, 2009

Pillow Talk



I was so inspired by Alicia's pillows I attempted to create some of my own. I have almost completed two and love the at-peace feeling sewing the squares gives me. Rather than take on piecing a quilt, the pillows have given my hands the satisfaction of making and left enough time in the day so I can indeed make dinner and open the mail.


Though secretly (shhhhh) I love the time warp feeling I get when I am consumed by a sewing project. Like I am in a vacuum tunnel and have no concept of anything except the whir of my machine and the faint 40's music playing in the background. My children don't look at these days with neglect-- rather they look at them as days of opportunity. Days that I will say yes to hauling out tubs of race car tracks and making sheet forts to have their lunch in. This rarely happens as my days often fill with must-do's before I have the chance to pin the tissue to my fabric.



I like how the pillows use scraps from a variety of past projects. It gives me a happy, nostalgic feeling.




Happy weekend to you!

3 comments:

The Pink Birdhouse said...

Pretty pillows!! And I too love that time-warp feeling when I am deep into a project. It is a delicious lovely feeling, total contentment!! My kids remember those days when they were young, I would be busy sewing and would agree to almost anything!! :-) Thanks for bringing that memory back to me. hope all is sunny with you, Debby

Dawn Gahan said...

I've been wanting to do this with some of Harleigh's clothes from childhood. Great idea!

Dawn

Thanks for being such a devoted reader of my blog. Good luck on the giveaway!

Beck said...

I loved this post, especially the part about being so consumed and your kids finding freedom in that. It's very natural and unstructured. So much of our life is rush, rush, do, do - it's lovely to see there can be space & time for everyone, including you. I also loved your pillows, sweet colours, xo