Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Loving Comparison

My husband's family has weathered many a New England winter near the water. Mine has spent many winters huddled around woodstoves more inland. I sometimes envision our childhoods being entwined without our ever being aware. Traveling similar country roads around and around until one day we met. It's ironic this ever happened as when he was three he lived on a tiny island of the coast of Northern Maine and I lived on one of the Hawaiian islands. Geographically it would be difficult to be farther apart while still being in the States. This notion always makes me smile, a journey in life straight from God that is ongoing even as I write this.


I like the past. I have never been tired of living in old colonial homes and envisioning the candlelit nights that spanned decades and decades in the same rooms we pass the time in.

So anyhow what's the Loving Comparison, you ask? I will share his and her photos of beautiful Connecticut and the areas we are from. Even though they are really not very far apart. Even though it may be a bit boring for you. If anything my husband will enjoy these pictures which inspires me to maybe tell him going on vacation without him wasn't the same as I really missed him throwing me into the hypothermia-inducing ocean water even though I always act like I'm mad. Sigh.


his: an old whaling ship being renovated:
hers: a beautiful school steeped in tradition and ivy

his: a nearby home straight from a Charles Wysocki puzzle




hers: a well kept colonial at the base of the hill where I grew up. The boy that lived here and my brother burned up 11 acres behind this house on accident.

his: I love these peaks atop ocean houses. I envision the hours a wife would spend looking out waiting for her husband to return from the sea. She would be so happy to see his ship coming in she would run outside to the wharf and hug him even though he smelled like fermenting whale blubber.

ours: our wee boy tickling his Grammie

I love this flag.

hers: Seeing the hydrangeas in bloom made me happy.

his: a red barn and a little boat.

ours: a little girl who has anchored our hearts. (insert corny snort/laugh here)

This post took me like five hours. It's not funny!

2 comments:

Driver 8 said...

Girl -- Finally got to see these pics -- Beautiful shots. Thank you & I hope you enjoy your Sunday...me

Simply Shelley said...

Hi,I loved seeing all these pictures,yours and his(smile)...and the ours as well....
It is so beautiful there...I would so love to visit there some day.
Thanks so much for sharing your lovely trip....

Blessings