Monday, April 5, 2010

dark chocolate is good for you!

016

I have been dreaming of chocolate cake. Dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate frosting.

It was one of those rare times when it tasted just as I wished. It’s really good!

Making a cake from scratch really isn’t hard.

This recipe is from Country Living Feb 2009 (I think). But I changed it slightly.

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

2 cups all purpose flour

1 cup cocoa

2 cups granulated sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup canola oil

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon vinegar

Heat oven to 350. Spray two 8 inch round pans with nonstick veg spray.

Combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Add the eggs, sour cream, oil, vanilla,vinegar and 1 cup of hot water (not boiling). Mix with a wooden spoon until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean—35-40 minutes. Cool the cakes in the pans for 20 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.

Quick Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (mmmmm)

Using a mixer set on med-high, beat 1 cup butter (2 sticks) and 6 oz melted and slightly cooled bittersweet choc together until fluffy. Reduce speed to med and beat in 2 cups marshmallow creme. Add 3/4 teaspoon vanilla and 6 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar and increase speed to med-high and beat scraping down the sides of bowl until smooth and fluffy. Chill for 20 minutes before using. Make 4 cups.

After frosting the cake I put it in the fridge and took it out 30 minutes before serving.

Usually I pride myself on not taste testing a whole bunch before I serve something but admit I licked the bowl and the beaters and the knife I frosted the cake with. I think this might be my favorite frosting ever.

4 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, my! You're killing me with this! I was going to try to be good for a few days. Did you use the Hersheys dark chocolate cocoa? It's really good...sounds like this is a wonderful recipe! Thanks! ♥

Andi said...

Oh. My. And to think when we have company over Friday I was just going to make a quick brownie mix...

Emily said...

Oooweee! That sounds good. Very tempting... I hope you had a nice Easter.

F|L|I|R|T|O said...

OH Great Awesume Blog....hmm I Like It......!!!!
rEally......Mate...!!