Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday’s Corner

009

This is among my favorite corners in the house. It’s quiet and I think the people who live in this house kind of forget about this room. You musn’t remind them about it or tell them it is my favorite place to read.

Because then my quiet corner will soon be littered with markers and sheets of whatnot paper scraps. There will be stuffed animals munched behind the pillows and pile of metal cars behind the chair. Not that my children are reckless and leave piles of stuff everywhere, nor do they use half a bottle of pancake syrup on one pancake and use sticky hands to open the fridge door.

011

I am almost done with “Abigail Adams” by Janet Whitney (1947).

This was a great book to read after reading and watching “John Adams” by David McCullough.

Abigail was strong and humble and smart and was pretty aware of the impact of her husband on the history of our country. One can’t help but admire her. There are many direct quotes from letters to and from her husband as they spent large quantities of time apart. These quotes are my favorite part of the book, I think I would rather spend a week reading their letters on microfiche than on a tropical beach.

This is from a letter Abigail wrote to John that kept me awake. It makes me reflect on the “want of life” and traveling and my children. Also of my childhood and the seemingly lost focus on how I felt growing up…

“I have learned to know the world and its value. I have seen high life. I have witnessed the luxury and pomp of state, the power of riches and the influence of titles. Not withstanding this I feel that I can return to my little cottage and be happier than here; and if we have not wealth, we have what is better-integrity.”

I am still learning and growing and cannot yet return to “my little cottage” in Connecticut. Someday I will and I am certain it will be happy times indeed.

Quiet corners are great for stimulating one’s thoughts, eh? Are you a thinker, too?

006007

The quiet corner looks out on the hens. Their hen pecking and egg laying squawks make me happy.

This concludes today’s episode of

Friday’s Corner

Thank you and Goodnight!

7 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

I like your cozy reading corner! The book looks good. I'll have to look for it at the library.

Leila said...

I pity those of us who think of one certain place as "the happy place" -- we are forever doomed to the search. Far luckier are those who never heard of a little New England farm...(didn't the farm in "John Adams" make you swoon?)

Emily said...

I consider myself a thinker, but I'm not sure what I think about is always of much use!! I LOVE your reading corner. I'd love to have a special spot to read AND look out at the chickens!

LB's Sewing Sanity said...

Your post was wonderful...felt like I actually escaped from my list of 'to do's'...for that I thank you! I love your quiet corner...such peaceful/uplifting post!

Unknown said...

I love to make my brain work by thinking...it's really amazing when I get quiet what it can come up with. It can dream, create, and go places I've never ever thought of. I once had 13 Rhode Island Red hens, I called them "my girls". My life has never been the same without them. Stay in peace dear one.

Juniper said...

What a nice spot to sit quietly and read, and the book sounds very interesting. To look out at some busy chickens is pretty nice too!! Hope your having a good week.
- Juniper

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love a nice big chair to snuggle in to read. I know I would love this book, too. I have been enjoying reading historical novels and biographies this year! ♥