Monday, August 15, 2011

hanging around

The rain woke me this morning.  It was a gentle but constant rain and I loved it.  The children slept on and on so I curled in my bed and read a handful of chapters of Oliver Wiswell.  It is a gargantuan book by Kenneth Roberts and I love it like I love the rain.  My only complaint is that I wish I had more gray mornings to lounge in bed and read it.

012

When we lived in The Netherlands it rained at least once a day for 2/3 of the year.  I learned to carry an umbrella and also to not let the rain stop me from riding my bike to the store.  The Dutch do everything in the rain.  Women wear high heels and ride their bikes to work. 

005

Today we checked out the rushing water in the brook and then came in to bake stuff.

009 010

We made peanut butter cookies and zucchini bread.  Don’t I sound like a good mother?  The truth is I got a little snarky and had to force myself to be patient…especially when Henry fork flattened the cookies like a maniac. 

But it’s okay, right?  I mean, kids try their mothers patience and the mothers feed them cookies.  Then the children wipe the crumbs on the floor and the mothers think about getting a dog so they will never have to wipe crumbs up again.

Arf-arf.

8 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's already feeling cool here in the mountains! It was in the 60s all morning and when I came home from the library, I changed clothes! I sure do love to bake in cool weather! But I'm still trying to limit the carbs...and there's no way I can pass up homemade cookies and bread! And YES...you are a great mother! ♥

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

PS I searched my library to see if they had this book and they do! So hopefully I can get it soon and read it! ♥

Unknown said...

If you're gonna get a dog be sure it doesn't shed. Cause then, instead of having cookie crumbs on the floor you'll have wads of hair. Which will look good in your blue entry way!

Emily said...

That sounds like such a good way to start the day. I love your lacy (lacie, lacey??) curtains. I'll have to look up that book, I've not heard of it.

Leslie said...

you found a great way to spend a rainy day! Sometimes I love days like that.

Prairie Rose said...

Mmm, very jealous of your cozy day!
Its up close to 100 here today....
I want a baking day!!!
Anywho, yes, you need a dog.
I have hardly ever had to bend over and wipe up crumbs, they are gone before I can say "Bobs your uncle" (actually they are gone before I am even done saying "Bobs")

Prairie Rose said...

P.S.
Love your boots!
So cute!
I have a thing for adorable rubber boots, because I have to wear them alot for irrigating, so I have to have cute ones;)

Anonymous said...

Being from holland myself I had to laugh at what you wrote, cause it's so true. I live in Belgium now and it seems even worse here than at the more coastal Dutch climate. And August is the wettest month of the year. But then I think about people in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, some parts of Austria... and feel better already. Besides, I prefer to much rain over too much draught any day.