Thursday, March 25, 2010

how 'bout that


I'm kind of grumpy today (can you tell?) as it was an orthodontist day and my teeth are throbbing. This makes me irritated! Why did I do this? If someone over 30 asked me if getting braces is worth it I think I would say no. If you have a child with braces buy them anything they want and tell them you are sorry.
Today at my appt I walked in with an older man who was being a bit too bossy with his wife. He was dressed in shiny cowboy clothes (from the 80's) and his voice was loud and know-it-all-ish. He annoyed me greatly. He announced as he came in:
"The old cowboy is back"
He began to tell his life story to anyone who would listen, he is a radio DJ (AM for sure) hence the overly-melty loud voice.
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I couldn't do it with the fake cowboy.
And then as if I sent a prayer Fed EX to God the door opened and in walked a real cowboy. An old coot with a crunched and dusted cowboy hat and even jingly spurs on his boots. The only thing missing was that cowboy music that plays when two are about to draw.
The fake cowboy looked at the real cowboy and didn't say another word.
And it was lovely.
When we move from here I will miss the West, the real cowboys and the horses...I love this about Texas. It is a culture all its own.

9 comments:

LB's Sewing Sanity said...

Lexi-girl got hers off yesterday. She is home sick today so she is still grumpy, with a big beautiful WHITE smile. Hope your evening improves. The thoughts of seeing a REAL cowboy gave me goosebumps...think I would wet my pants for sure! Or start talking in a really really high pitched voice while I did the rooster walk.

Emily said...

I guess I missed it that you got braces. Wow! That is very brave. Sorry they're hurting you. I take my 11 year old in April 6th for her initial consultation with the orthodontist. Poor thing. Are you moving soon?

Unknown said...

I loved the fact that on last weeks game show Sares, one of the contestants replied to my comment I'd get on the back of any cowboys horse...She said...I'd get on my own horse!
I loved the show down between pain in the butt and the real man! Made me laugh. You've got a beans in your pants, sassy side I see and I love it. You'd like my auntie jacquelines blog where I let my curlers fall to the floor and get real!

Unknown said...

I had braces in Jr. High. I'm sorry...I remember the fun of adjustments. But I had no idea about the expense, like you do now! About those cowboys...I love it when the real thing puts the fake to shame, don't you?

Leila said...

Ha ha!! Perfect...cowboy showdown...
I hated having braces and got canker sores galore. I pity you from the bottom of my heart. Have a tylenol...

Lindsey in AL said...

Nothing like watching a poser get shot down by the real thing (who doesn't even have to try). And "poser?" How's that for 80s? To match the shiny cowboy's outfit :D

Janean said...

"ewwwwww" for the fake-boy and a "yeehaw" for the real-thing, baby! when you are yourself, you don't have to explain it.

cute remark about the am radio host! LOL!!!

Juniper said...

What a good moment to witness! Glad you shared it with us, your description of both the 'real' and the 'fake' cowboy were great, have such a clear picture in my head of them both. Braces are no fun at all, after a bad boat accident when I was 16 I had to have them, and yes they did ache terribly after being tightened.
Hope your day has cheered up and your feeling less grumpy.
BTW love the picture you headed the post with!

Marilyn said...

I know about those real cowboys, I am married to one and they get a real hoot out of the "wanna be a cowboy". There is a lot of work involved, being a real cowboy and rancher. Like your blog, My first visit.