Tuesday, March 2, 2010

twirly dress

With trepidation I made my daughter a red checked dress. I'll explain the trepidation part in a minute.

I have dreamed of a dress this style for her- a twirly skirt with a simple bodice. Something that would go with mary jane shoes or with white canvas sneakers. I don't have any confidence when it comes to sewing without a pattern, I need those simple and obvious directions so I don't have to think. Because when I think I usually get into trouble. I can hear myself saying in that squeaky apologetic voice "...but I thought it was a good idea". And I'm not necessarily talking about sewing (insert image of me covering car and car door handles and part of windshield with car wax.)

This fabric was bought in Missouri last summer and I love it wholeheartedly. You can make all the jokes you want about my sweet little girl wearing it in public--no her name isn't Ida May and no she isn't going to a square dance. I feel defensive and this is why...

When I was in high school a boy asked me to eat lunch with him the following day. An upperclassman mind you and I felt myself get the beginning stages of shaky love sickness. It was Spring, our campus was pretty...lots of old New England buildings with a green in the middle. I wore a red gingham dress--probably the only person to wear one to that school since the mid 1800's. I don't even know where I got it. When we sat among his friends some guy said, "hey can we use your dress as a table cloth?" Everyone laughed. Of course this laughter has increased in my mind over the last 20 years to a storm of laughter that echoes with roars and knee slapping.

Fast forward a few years to me giving a presentation in college about population, food and the environment. I spoke exclusively about growing your own food and how the desire to do so is diminishing within the general population. I was wearing the red checked dress. When I was through the professor said aloud how creative it was I matched my outfit to my presentation. Why can't a girl just like red gingham?

I hope Ida May likes it.

Fabric: from Urban Chiks 1974 collection

9 comments:

Emily said...

Aww...you are so sweet. I love this dress and I love red gingham too ;)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's so pretty and looks like a summer day! I wrote you earlier about the fabric...I tried to get some but was too late! Now I want to go to the fabric store and just 'look'! lol I don't really 'need' any...Is that safe?! ♥

GardenOfDaisies said...

I love the dress! It will look adorable with white socks and sneakers this summer!

Unknown said...

What a great story of power and inspiration this morning! It's only 530am and you've given me hope for the day. I want to jump up and down and say You go girl! I love the dress...I want to have one too! I wear what I want and shop at thrift and dress up. I get some stares but most of the time folks say...I love how you dress. If I was not in a professional role I'd likely be a flower child with flowers in my hair or an old aunt who wear patchwork skirts and red shoes...Mary Janes would delight me. Love your thoughts and your blog!

Leila said...

Very funny! It's like some people go through life thinking it's a free-association game.

I think any little girl would be very happy with that lovely dress!

Leila said...

By the way, I find it unfathomable that anyone would have a 1974 collection of fabric. You certainly picked the one that doesn't make me want to barf. I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

LB's Sewing Sanity said...

I find it ironic you were blogging about twirly dresses as I was literally mentioning twirly skirts and high laced up boots on Facebook! Great post!

Have you started to plan your journey to Mom's yet?? Let's try to overlap a week or so.

Juniper said...

Its a great dress!! Am sure your daughter will like it, how could you not?! I like that you included what the dress means to you and the memories it brings back.

Various and Sunday said...

that is so pretty, and i swear when i die they're going to bury me in a gingham casket. except i'm getting cremated. oh well, you get my drift: I LOVE GINGHAM!!! :o)