Friday, February 26, 2010

Tweetley Tweetllou (that's me whistling)

My oldest is in the beginning stages of her fabric addiction. She holds up bolts in the clearance section and says wouldn't this make a great bag? How about this as a skirt?



Don't you remember being that sweet about buying fabric? And she is really sweet. We drove to Hancock's last night, actually she drove that is how sweet she is, and spent a couple hours there. If you have been to that particular Hancock's you would reply "Say What???" to the couple hours thing. It's a messy store...the employees always act surprised when they see you at the cutting table and they cut fabric at a snail's pace like they have never done it before. Then they act even more surprised when you walk the 12 steps forward to the register and stand there and ring the bell for them to ring you out. Once when I was there they were giving their Taco Bell orders to "Carol" over the intercom...one at a time.


Let me get back on track. So yes we bought a whole bunch of clearance fabrics (that by the way, didn't ring up on clearance oi oi oi) and it was fun. Until we got home with a large bag of fabric and I had to face the reality that the only thing I have sewn this week is three coat hangers which only needed .025 yards of fabric. Nonetheless I washed and dried it last night, paying no heed to the basket of dirty towels I had to climb over.




This is Hadley, she is the oldest. She is in her school library by the looks of it. I had her when I was 20 and like to tell people we are sisters. She doesn't like that (at all). She is very determined but yet very quiet.

Sometimes I think about Hadley and how she helps so much with her siblings and feel bad. With her Dad traveling often and me being pregnant much of her childhood she has always stepped up and been so responsible.

This is why I bought her some fabric and like 12 sets of knitting needles that were marked down to 62 cents on clearance. It's okay to show love with fabric, isn't it?






These are the old hangers someone gladly gave me at a yard sale. She was selling her great grandmother's things and didn't seem to interested in the "vintageness" of everything.



Recovering hangers is very easy, it's hard to make a mistake. There is a good tutorial in this book:

This is my favorite buy from yesterday, it's a McCall quilted print with a cute reverse side. The style number is 30527, but I couldn't find it online.

Thanks for letting me talk so much. Blah blah blah, see you later!

12 comments:

Emily said...

I pray I have that kind of relationship with my daughters some day. It is truely wonderful to see what it can be like. I didn't have that with my mom and still don't :( I am so glad we've become friends here on our blogs. You are really inspiring to me every time I log on.

Andi said...

I love that quilted fabric!

What a beautiful daughter!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

You can't EVER have enough wonderful fabric!! You're just brainwashing your gorgeous daughter the way any good mom should.

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Leila said...

Beautiful-- makes me miss my older daughters! B isn't interested...yet!! mwahahaha...(do I laugh evilly a lot in your combox?)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Now what is that quilted fabric again? Is it to be cut out like paper dolls? WOW! How neat! And what fun to have a daughter to share your fun with! (remember...I have 4 sons! lol) I love the hangers! I use a few padded ones for my robes and never thought about recovering them in something pretty! Great idea! ♥

GardenOfDaisies said...

That mcCAlls patern quilted fabric is sooooo wonderful!! I have never seen anything like it! I guess I am not going to the right fabric stores!
Your daughter is a good kid! :-)

Ashley said...

Some of my favorite times spent with my mama have been our adventures in fabric stores. We have been going to the same Jo-anns since I was in diapers, of course then it was House of Fabrics. We had Papa drive us all around in search of new fabric stores on the weekends in my teenage years. Just today I drove down to see my Mama and we were at the fabric store. We are like two peas in a pod, my mama and I. And showing your love with fabric is wonderful. I adore when my mama loves me with fabric!! Enjoy the special sewing bond you guys share, and the many special fabric trips. p.s. I am in love with the McCalls quilted fabric. I could see a whole bedspread made out of the stuff. Too cute!

Unknown said...

What a sweet girl! I am glad I can't see that fabric in person because 1. I don't need it. 2. What would I do with it? That is sooooo cute!

Juniper said...

What a fun post, your description of the store was hilarious! The taco bell orders over the intercom!! The love of fabric, such a nice thing to share with your daughter. Being the oldest of five and having had to do a lot of helping out with my younger siblings while growing up was a really good experience for me, it made us all very close and helped foster the idea that we are a family and help each other out and work together. I think in so many ways it also helped prepare me for the craziness of having kids of my own when that time came. Much to say actually on the topic of large families, here it is very rare and I see the downsides of big gaps between children. Won't go on , too long already!
BTW nice job on the hangers!

Emily said...

We are indeed related to the people that built it. My hubby is 6th generation to work the ranch. I don't think the first and second generations lived in this house but his grandparents lived in it until about 2 1/2 years ago. So...it's an oldie.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

If you're online right now....go to
http://mariemadelinestudio.typepad.com/mariemadeline_studio/
she's having a super sale and my hubby doesn't think I need anything so I thought maybe you or your sister might want to shop! heehee!

Have fun!♥

Barbara said...

I have such great memories of fabric shopping with my mom - it sounds like a great time. And I don't think you can go wrong spoiling somebody with fabric or knitting needles. (or red gingham)