Saturday, January 9, 2010

Flour Sack Project

Every year I try and convince myself not to make resolutions. I tell myself to be better about stuff all year and not walk into January with my head held high as I trot on the elliptical and pass up a decadent, fluffy, frosted cupcake (oh the insanity). Seeing as I like lists and am gifted at disappointing myself....I make resolutions. Lots of them.

One I made this year is to use less sandwich bags. I try not to rely on them but it seems I often end up with them in my cart. I have voiced this to my family many times over. We have tried reusable containers, but they are plastic, too. Recently I was inspired by an entrepreneur featured in Victoria magazine who started her company because she didn't like the waste of sandwich bags and the like. She made reusable bags out of vintage linens. Little bags for sandwiches and cookies, they were very sweet. I couldn't find the article on the website and I have already passed my issue along. I think it was in the Jan issue.
I made these kitchen counter cloths for when I need to make sandwiches or toast. I cringe when I think of how many paper towels I have used in my lifetime.
I bought an over sized flour sack towel at our farm and feed store--or you can buy a pack at a hobby store (or here)--and cut it into smaller portions. I sat and stitched them all day yesterday and now my neck is hurting really bad. The price to pay for sitting still on a cold day!
I hope you are having a great weekend....see you Monday.



5 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a great idea! I use a LOT of paper towels but I use cloth dish towels, too. I would like to make some of the little bags for snacks. I would still want to wrap it in a paper towel or wax paper. Would wax paper be a good choice. I requested My Antonia at the library this week and got the card today letting me know it is there and ready to pick up. I'll let you know when I get started on it! ♥

The Dadman Diaries said...

It is sad how "disposable" I treat zip-loc bags; I try and reuse them, but what does a day or two difference make? Probably not much. Even tho we avoid styrofoam, my ziploc usage is pretty high...

Do you have a sewing idea for both M and I for wraps, sandwiches, etc., She's off on Thurs & Fri and she might be able to squeeze in some sewing in between ironing, darning, cooking, laundry and watching The Waltons and Law 'n Order.

PS Did you know that Plastic was invented AFTER our UJ was born? Wow!

Unknown said...

Hello from the Pacific Northwest were it is warm believe it or not! It seems like the world has tipped upside down weather wise.
I went back and back to read your blog since I'm a new visitor. Your neck is sore, my eyes are sore. So much fun eye candy. I'll be back to you! Have a happy go lucky Monday!
`Jacqueline`

LB's Sewing Sanity said...

These are darling! You are very talented and I admire your ability to follow through. You accomplish more in a month than most of us in a lifetime. Your kids are blessed. On a side note, we have not used nor purchased plastic bags for a few years now and it still feels good to know we are making a difference. We also gave up paper napkins a few years ago and only use linens. Love to make special ones for the kids. Yet, I cringe when we entertain and bring out the paper white napkins. thanks for your wonderful blog. love you! miss you too! -lisa

Andi said...

We ditched paper napkins. Cloth work so much better, and they are just thrown in with whatever load of laundry I'm doing. I use them like you use your cute towel you made. And, you even have a mannequin? I am VERY impressed!

I will definitely have to return!