Wednesday, January 6, 2010

how to know if there is a 12 year old boy living in your house


This is my son "then". He was fat and smiley and had a red face and twinkly blue eyes. I really love him. I thought I would mention that before I make fun of him.


Our house is full of geodes. By geodes I mean rocks. Around age nine rocks turned into more scientific names. But truthfully they are still rocks. I call them geodes to be nice.



There will be rocks on his nightstand. Along with this book. I'm not sure if I am more surprised at the title or that there was a tooth on it.

His bookcase will have books like "Weird and Strange Facts" which he will be able to remember every last detail of but will not be able to remember to turn his clothes right side out in the hamper.

There will always be a pile of rocks on the patio table. Waiting to be cracked open.


If there is a 12 year old boy living in your house there will always be rocks in the laundry.

There will be airplanes both on the floor and the ceiling....

There will be cowboy stuff on his desk with more rocks and piles of baseball cards.

And what about the Legos? I haven't even touched on the Legos? I suppose I won't mention how many times I have stepped on Legos while tucking him in a dark room. And again he will be able to remember what tiny piece goes with which set but will not be able to remember to bring wood for the stove up from the barn.

This is my son "now" (#34). He isn't fat anymore, he also won't swim naked and I can't carry him around on my hip. But he is still a boy after my heart. I even like that he likes rocks.

6 comments:

Emily said...

I love this! I need to do a post called "You may be a Tom-girl if..." We have rocks in the laundry, feathers on the dressers, hotwheels and legos everywhere.

I read Anne Tyler's "An Amatuer Marriage". I really enjoyed it. What are some your favorites of hers?

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The legos bring back memories ...except that I know for a fact that my sons who are in their 30s and 40s STILL have legos! lol Enjoy this special time...it literally FLIES by!

Leila said...

Ha ha...I threw the gravel out in the yard, but I still have many "pretty rocks" around the house. Rocks that have been packed in boxes and moved by movers...because what would happen if, even decades later, you lost track of a pretty rock?

Leila said...

My rock collector is was a little girl, just so you don't think my boys would ever say pretty rock.

Leila said...

is was...conflicted mama...

Celestial Charms said...

Such a funny and "real" post. I have a 7 year old son that has been into rocks since he was 3. No matter where we go, he stops to crouch down and pick up rocks. Right into his pockets and later rolling loudly in the dryer. I have also had many a curse word expelled upon stumbling onto a lego. It is like stepping on a tack! Thank heaven for little boys.
Maureen