Sunday, January 3, 2010

melting crayons


Melting crayons into new shapes is a fun, inexpensive way to get crafty with your kids...no matter their ages.

We keep our junk crayons in a large five gallon jar. We started this several years ago and I'm amazed at how quickly they add up. Also it's handy to buy old baking tins at yard sales, etc. You can also use a muffin pan. While the wax does come off with some elbow grease it's nice to know you won't ruin anything. I haven't used silicone molds (that can go in the oven) but have read they work well.

Fill the tins half full of peeled and broken crayons. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 5-6 minutes. Be careful when removing from the oven, the wax is liquidy and very hot. Cool for several minutes then place the tins in the freezer for 10 minutes. The crayons will be easy to pop out.

Hopefully between now and Valentine's Day we will make enough to give out instead of candy. Wrapped in cellophane with a red bow they look pretty.

To remove the wax residue from the tins I put them back on the cookie sheet and place in the warm oven long enough to soften the remaining wax. Removing them one at a time from the oven carefully wipe the wax out with an old rag or paper towel. Then wash in hot soapy water.

Other helpful hints....

*Crayons don't melt well in the microwave.

*We have melted crayons in ramekins and tried filling lollipop molds (the plastic kind you buy in the cake decorating aisle) but it was very messy. It worked but not as well as the tins.

* The Crayola Crayon Maker is a $30 piece of junk...this is my (humble) opinion! It takes too long and takes the creative process out of making new crayons.

5 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Right here in the study I have some little candles that my son made me over 30 years ago with melted crayons! I guess some things are always fun! What precious memories you are making! They turned out so pretty..and mommy can keep them forever!

Emily said...

We made these in my daughter's kindergarten class. It was a fundraiser and they called them Crayon Critters. We had pots dedicated to the process and melted them by color on hot plates and then poured them into the chocolate molds. Kids love 'em!

Leila said...

I'm so into melting things down into other things.

I will have to await grandchildren for the crayon thingy, but one resolution I have is to make candles, particularly ones that use melted other ones!!

There must be something very deep about all this :)

packaging supplier said...

The colors are so wonderful and great.These crayons are used for beautiful and much wonderful coloring and drawing.

Andi said...

I love melted crayons! My daughter is sitting next to me as I read, and she wants to try it! I read your last several entries...Very fun!