Tuesday, September 1, 2009

morning work



Behold the pear.


A ripened pear is a lovely way to start the day. I urge you to try this, before your cup of tea or coffee, before your house is awake. Sit in the quiet and using a small sharp knife (preferably from your Gram) cut tender slices one at a time. Don't be insulting and eat it like an apple only to find yourself slurping the juice off your wrist.
Pears are in season now--around a dollar a pound. Isn't this wonderful? Aren't you glad I told you?
My mornings this week have been spent canning more stuff. Some of it came out good (salsa) and some bad (strawberry preserves). It's a little time consuming but it's a good feeling to stock the storage cupboard with jars to use all winter. If you would like more info on canning there are some great resources on the internet or even at your local extension office.
The Ball canning website is helpful and I highly recommend the book.
I used this website to can 12 pounds of pears with great results.


Ken...ich vermisse dich!

5 comments:

Leila said...

Pears...that's a sore point! Since my family has had every milestone that one can have this summer AND six weeks of rain, my pears are out there...on the grass...turning to pear vinegar via pear alcohol :(


But you have been busy, and it looks wonderful! You will be patting yourself on the back for that salsa in January! :)

xoxo!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You'll have to translate! lol And would you believe I took a photo of a pear when I got home from shopping yesterday? I'm always amazed! I'll try to post mine tomorrow! lol

i cant decide said...

Lovely!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I posted a pic of my pear and mentioned you on my blog this morning! Have a great day!

Various and Sunday said...

Yum, pears. And I absolutely love that picture you took of the jars. It would make a really neat framed picture in the kitchen!