Friday, September 17, 2010

lunch box snack

001

These are good!

Chewy Oatmeal Snack Bars

1/2 cup butter

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

2/3 cup maple syrup (use the real stuff if you can, even if you have to put a spigot in a maple tree… 40 gallons of sap make one gallon of syrup so plan accordingly)

2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter

1 tsp vanilla

3 cups quick cooking oats (I use steel cut oats and pulse them a bit in the food chopper)

1 cup wheat germ

1 cup graham cracker crumbs

1 cup dried cherries or cranberries

Grease the bottom of a 13x 9 pan.

Melt butter in a 2 quart saucepan over med heat. Stir in brown sugar and maple syrup; heat to boiling. Boil 1 minute, stirring frequently; remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla until mixture is smooth.

Stir remaining ingredients into peanut butter mixture, mixing well. Press evenly in pan.  Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours, cut into bars.  Store covered in refrigerator.

004 006

I keep them wrapped in wax paper in the fridge as I’m willing to admit certain older kids in this house consider it work to have to wrap a granola bar.   They would rather go with their friends to the corner store at lunch and buy a cinnamon roll.  Remember those days? 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look delicious, I can't wait to try them, Thank you for sharing

Unknown said...

Yum! I have to try this recipe!!

Andi said...

Adding real maple syrup to the grocery menu...I used to only buy it trying to force my family to like it. It sat and sat and sat in the cabinet until I gave up and bought the other stuff..However I did find Log Cabin that is high fructose corn syrup free...Which makes me happy!

Juniper said...

Oh you make me smile!!! I honestly was thinking yesterday that I wished I had a recipe for a nice granola bar, and I would love to send my kids to school with one. Thank you!!! I will be trying this recipe this week! Once again, what a good mother you are, I love that you individually wrapped them all!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

OH MY! When I reach my goal weight...this may be the first treat I have! lol I love this recipe! ♥

ain't for city gals said...

I am loving that lunch box!!Wish I still had mine...I just did a post on the new Farm Chick Christmas book..she had lots of that vintage plaid...love it! I tried to find your follower box to check to follow you...let me know if you put one up..

Emily said...

Yum! You are so cute individually wrapping those up for your family :) They look great.

I see I've missed some of your posts of late, all wrapped up in my pity party here. Your home looks so warm and welcoming and your kids clothes are SEW darn cute!!

P.S. I totally would like to meet you too. You are a really special blog friend and I am so grateful. Thank you for your kind words. XOXO

Unknown said...

I was reading back on your post on your dining room. Love the doll house by the way. I'm wondering if it was once yours as a child?

Your home has history and with your whole family now under the roof and memories being made the home is aglow. I love the doors leading to the dining room and the simple taste that you have. Makes life less complicated where a meal can be shared with so many.

I was just talking to my 22 yr old daughter yesterday about all the lunches I made for 3 kids every school day, every year. I wonder how I go through it and look at you with so many more kids.

You were destined to be a good mama and I can see you are. God bless you, I'm sure you get tired but you keep going like the energizer bunny!