Thursday, September 30, 2010

a little dress

This is one of those projects that sat in my head for a long time.  And while it didn’t turn out exactly as I had envisioned, I do kind of like it.  It’s an old pattern with a few changes, which is really a fancy way of saying I didn’t understand what the directions were saying about the continuous lap and the double fold bias that wasn’t to be folded. 

022 

Darn all those home economics teachers that retired and left generations of us to translate sewing patterns like a foreign language.  

020

Vintage hankies are among my favorite linens to collect.  They are so delicate and pretty.   The one on the dress is a favorite as it was given to me by my oldest.  It makes my heart beat happy thumps to know she picked it up and thought “gee whiz my mom would like this.”  Thank you, H!

I hope your day is ticking along with things you find comfort in…see you later chums!

 

12 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

So sweet!!! Great idea to use the hankie as a little pinafore. :-)

Vicki said...

The dress is adorable. What a good use of one of those fancy hankies. Brings back memories of my mother who always had one of them with her.

Emily said...

That is really beautiful Kate. Who did you make it for? You are such a good seamstress. I could never just adapt a dress pattern to suite my needs. It looks so old fashion and pretty. I've been trying to think of some ways to use my hankie collection. I should post pictures of them sometime. I bet you'd like some of them.

i cant decide said...

So cute!

Various and Sunday said...

It's a darling little dress. How true about the home-ec teachers all being gone now. Sad. Loved your comment about our new kitten. As I type this, I'm eating a salad and having to hold her away from the bowl with one hand. Kittens are absolutely hilarious. What's funny is then they completely poop out and sleep on their back in all manner of funny ways. Get one! The shelters are brimming over with little furry bundles. Ha! (if you dare!!!)

Prairie Rose said...

Oh!
So Precious!
Some little girl is going to be very lucky!
I LOVE old hanky's too!
When I go to a yard sale or flea market I always have my eyes peeled for old hanky's and old tableclothes.

Unknown said...

That is an absolutely adorable dress and you are so creative with the hankie!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How precious! I love the beautiful colors and vintage design! Very sweet! ♥

Andi said...

Precious.

Anonymous said...

The little dress turned out perfect! Now you can call it an "original" or "one of a kind". I still remember my home ec teacher. her name was Willamenia..how's that for old fashioned?

Anonymous said...

ohhhh!! that little dress is so sweet!!

Barbara said...

Every last inch of that is adorable.